Incoming exchange students  

exchange students

Living in Leipzig

There is a wide range of reasonably-priced apartments and rooms in Leipzig.

Halls of residence

A room in the Halls of Residence run by the Studentenwerk Leipzig (Leipzig Student Services) has the advantage of already being furnished and enables you to make contact with other students.

Shared apartments

Shared apartments, so-called Wohngemeinschaften (WG), are particularly popular among Leipzig students. In a shared apartment two or more students share a whole apartment which includes a bathroom and a kitchen. There are various ways to find a room or a shared apartment, for example through

accommodation adverts
housing and room agencies
the Akademisches Auslandsamt (International Centre) accommodation service

Temporary accommodation

There is a wide choice of temporary accommodation for your first few days in Leipzig.

In general you will only be able to sign a rental agreement (e.g. with the Leipzig Student Services) if you are enrolled at Leipzig University and can produce your Immatrikulationsbescheinigung (Certificate of Enrolment). There are quite a few administrative regulations, which you can find out all about in the general tips on accommodation.

At any rate, it is important to factor in enough time to look for accommodation.

Studentenwerk Leipzig (Leipzig Student Services)’ halls of residence

If you would like to live with many German and foreign students in a hall of residence run by the Leipzig Student Services (Studentenwerk Leipzig), please apply online directly to the Studentenwerk Leipzig and not to the Akademisches Auslandsamt. As a rule, rental agreements for the halls of residence are arranged for at least one year. If you have any questions about a hall of residence, please contact the Studentenwerk Leipzig.

Accommodation adverts

Vacant rooms are usually advertised in newspapers or magazines and on notice boards at the university.

  • Schwarze Bretter (literally black boards) are boards on which students can advertise their furnished or unfurnished rooms. They are located in a number of university buildings, and there is also a Schwarzes Brett on the Internet

Many students who are going abroad rent their rooms fully furnished while they are away, for example. In a shared apartment, the kitchen and bathroom are for the use of all flatmates.

Housing and room agencies

In Leipzig, there are numerous agencies offering housing and rooms. Unfortunately they do not all operate in the same way. But they do have one thing in common – they all ask for identification (if necessary, a passport with a valid visa) when the agreement is ready for signing, if not before.

Some agencies also require a scholarship certification, proof of liquidity or something similar to guarantee that you will pay your rent on time. You can ask exactly what is needed when you phone them or view the accommodation.

Some agencies charge a fee (Provision). If you go to an agency, you can tell them if you would prefer furnished or unfurnished accommodation. Furnished means that the room must have at least a bed, a table and a wardrobe or shelves. It is also customary (and advisable) to view the rooms and the surrounding area before signing an agreement.

When you rent accommodation, a deposit (Kaution) is often required. A deposit is a specific amount of money (usually 1-2 months rent, not including additional costs) that has to be paid into a savings book. When the rental agreement is terminated, this deposit will be returned to the tenant, provided that the accommodation is handed over in good order. Do not sign an agreement until you fully understand its content.

The International Centre’s accommodation service

If you are coming to Leipzig University as an ERASMUS student or an exchange student, the Akademisches Auslandsamt (International Centre) provides a shared apartment placement service. You may want to live in a private apartment with German students. If so, you can request this in your application papers.

As an alternative, please fill out the following form and send it to the Akademisches Auslandsamt (International Centre):

Please arrange private accommodation
We will then try to find a shared apartment (WG), and, if we succeed, we will inform you of the postal or e-mail address of the apartment residents. After that, please get in touch with them personally and agree on anything further. This means you will be able to get to know potential fellow residents by telephone or e-mail before you arrive.

Temporary accommodation

If you are not able to move straight into your room in the hall of residence or would like to look for private accommodation when you arrive in Leipzig, it is best if you reserve somewhere to stay for the first night before you travel.

last update: 17.09.2015 


International Centre
Christiane Schmidt
Contact | Office hours

Jane Moros
(bilateral agreements, MAUI, AEN)
Contact | Office hours