Incoming exchange students  

exchange students

Health insurance

Everyone planning to study in Germany is required to have health insurance, and you cannot be enrolled without it. In Germany there are two types of health insurance, statutory or public insurance and private insurance.

Statutory health insurance

Germany has social insurance agreements with some countries, including the member countries of the European Union and the European Economic Area. This means that, if you have statutory health insurance in your home country, you can have this insurance recognised by a statutory health insurance company in Germany. Further details on existing social insurance agreements are given by the Deutsche Verbindungsstelle Krankenversicherung - Ausland

Please find out which documents you require before you leave your home country. Students usually require either a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or the form E 128 /E 111 and the Immatrikulationsbescheinigung (Certificate of Enrolment) from Leipzig University.

It is possible that your insurance will not cover all costs in Germany. Before you leave your home country, find out exactly which benefits you are allowed to claim in Germany.

Private health insurance

Private health insurance from other countries may be recognised in Germany. You should obtain details from your insurer.

If your private insurance is recognised, when you enrol you will need confirmation that you are exempted from obligatory insurance with a statutory health insurance company. But please note that you cannot then move to a statutory health insurance company while a student.

Confirmation of Health Insurance Coverage

If you have private insurance, all medical benefits and medicines will have to be paid for in Germany and the bills then submitted to your insurer at home.

No health insurance

If you do not have any valid health insurance accepted by Leipzig University, you will have to choose a German health insurance company and take out insurance. All health insurance (incl. care insurance) for students costs about 66.00 EUR. Your enrolment is not complete until you have valid health insurance. To obtain valid health insurance coverage you need to present your Immatrikulationsbescheinigung (Certificate of Enrolment). You must take out insurance within one day of issue of the Immatrikulationsbescheinigung (Certificate of Enrolment).

last update: 17.09.2015 


International Centre
Christiane Schmidt
Contact | Office hours

Jane Moros
(bilateral agreements, MAUI, AEN)
Contact | Office hours